I’m not going to link to them, you can search for them, they are quite easy to find, as are most of the #FBPE squealers.
A few points I will stress from the start
- Politics is indeed best kept out of business
- I respect all those who work at Wetherspoons and at pubs and clubs and bars in general.
To take my 2nd point first, I have worked in pubs; it can be hard and thankless (like most jobs) but it doesn’t take much skill to do. Indeed it takes skill to do correctly, to enhance a customer’s experience but that is down to the individual and no amount of training can infer common sense within people.
Point one; I’m not one to boycott businesses that have different political outlooks to myself, I have a few I do out of whimsy (never once given McDonald’s my money, avoid Coke products) but it is nothing but a relic of my youth with no real morals attached to it (love me a Burger King, love me a Pepsi), plus you try and completely avoid buying anything Nestle don’t own.
But given the political climate we live in today, it is not without notice that there is a complete lack of irony of those that generally object to the politics of a person or business and the fact that they are anti-democratic losers.
But let us look at the demands from SWAB:
1. Withdraw all pro-Brexit propaganda from our workplace. This means that we will no longer be marked down for refusing to distribute beer mats, leaflets, magazines or menus that promote Martin’s politics.
2. Pay us a Living Wage. That means a £9 hourly rate outside London, and £10.55 in London.
3. Trade union recognition, granting the Bakers, Food and Allied Workers Union negotiating powers over our pay and pay and working conditions.
Points 1 to 3 can quite easily be covered in the simple request, go and look for another fucking job. You work in a low skilled job that does not merit a “Living Wage” especially considering that most of those in this group will probably be under 25 and are no where near worth £9 an hour given the current scale of age dependent National Minimum Wage payments.
You have signed a contract, either honour that contract or go somewhere else and if you can’t then may I suggest going and getting a better education and qualifications so you can go somewhere that pays better and gives you better job satisfaction.
“Be the change you want to be in the world”*
Or as the kids say these days
Learn To Code
Thanks for reading.
*Which was not said by the racist, nationalist, nappy wearing religious nut job sectarian, also known as Gandhi.